Tuesday 9 June 2015

The Half Way Mark


In January, I decided to post a list of things that I wanted to do this year in terms of my reading and the blog.  Since it's June, about halfway through the year, I thought I'd go back and assess my progress.

1.  Finish all my owned, unread books.
I was making really good progress with this one, having read 5 out of 9 books that I owned but had not read by May.  And then... I bought more books.  Having said that, I have already read 5 of the 8 books I bought, so I'm not that far behind.

2.  Read these specific books (Cinder, Splintered, Every Breath and Unspoken).
I've done well with this, having read the first three.  You can check out my Splintered review here, my Cinder review here and my Every Move review here.

3.  Read at least two classics this year.
I haven't done that yet, and I seriously don't know if I will.  It takes dedication to read a classic.

4.  Read some adult fiction.
I did this!  I read Attachments, The Night Circus and Gone Girl.  On top of this, I've also read two New Adult books, a couple middle grade books, a few graphic novels and even two audiobooks - which I'm pretty pleased with.  Variety!

5.  Stop saying the word "really" so often (and very).
Well, I have consciously been trying to monitor this, and I think I'm going alright!

6.  Read at least 52 books.
I'm on track with this, having read a total of 35 this year - 31 of which I have not read before.



7.  Try and reread at least one of my favourite series/trilogies.
So I've read the graphic novels of The Infernal Devices, and that counts right?  I've also got plans to read The Hunger Games books right before the final movie comes out (eeee!).

8.  Try to write some more longer reviews.
*cough* *cough*
Oops.
I think I'm going to stick with mini reviews for a while longer - except for review books.

9.  Don't neglect reading in favour of watching Youtube.
I'm proud to say that I've gone very well with this one.  My Youtube viewing has decreased dramatically which makes me a little sad, but it's been worth it considering all the other things I've been able to do instead.

10.  No buying books unless you've got an income.
Well.  I don't have an income, and as you've seen in goal number 1...
So I've failed this one.

11.  Finish/Continue some series that you've started.
I haven't done much of this except that I have now read Siege and Storm and I also read the entire Every trilogy, though I started that this year too.  I do have The Dream Thieves on hold from the library though, so hopefully I'll get to that soon!

12.  Reread your posts before you post them.



I've just fallen into the trap of hoping I wrote every out right the first time.  I did try to start proofreading, I swear, but I would just go through it too fast and miss my mistakes anyway.  If you can proofread productively, please tell me your secret!

13.  Post more of what you want, rather than what you think people will like.
I've been posting what and when I feel like it, so I guess I've completed this one!

I also mentioned at the end of the post that I wanted to organise my blogging schedule a bit more, but you probably know that hasn't worked out great.  With uni, I've just started posting when it suits me, no matter what day it is.

I hope your year is going well - did you have any goals?  Met any of them already?

2 comments:

  1. My year has been okay so far, albeit busier than expected (and so fast! I say this literally every month, but I cannot believe it is June already. I don't know what I did with all the time...)

    I'm glad to hear that you've been doing well with a lot of your goals! :D It's hard to resist book buying, no one would blame you for bot being quite on track with those ;P
    As for not neglecting reading in favor of YouTube, that sounds like a resolution I ought to pick up, too. When I finally have some free time, I find it so much easier to just open up YouTube or Netflix and just sit back than to invest myself into characters and worlds the way I do with books. How did you motivate yourself with this one?
    It does take quite a bit of determination to read through a classic, especially those huge ones written in weird grammar, haha. Maybe you could try a shorter one, or one that has an interesting synopsis to you? Many people have recommended 1984 and A Brave New World to me (they're like, the original dystopians haha)

    - Connie @ The YA Book Thief

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're have a good year! Haha I know what you mean - time just slips away. I don't know about you, but it seems to be getting worse the older I get.

      Lol yes, it is quite difficult (I'm in fact pondering purchasing another few books in the next week or so - oops).
      I have to be honest, TV does take over reading sometimes. I think what happened with Youtube was that I was too busy for about a week to keep up with my subscription feed, and then the amount of videos I had to watch was just way too many and I got overwhelmed and stopped watching altogether! Sometimes I'll go and visit my favourite uploaders though, and watch their videos until I'm up to date. So, I guess that's kind of the opposite of a motivation xD
      Yes! The weird grammar is the hardest thing!
      The fact that those are original dystopians really appeals to me, so yeah, maybe I'll have to pick those up, thanks! :)

      Delete

Related Posts
Back to Top